Happy New Year!
We wanted to share the end-of-year email that went out to our mailing list in case you missed it, so here it is!
You know how everyone sends out emails at the end of the year begging you for money or asking you to buy stuff? Well, this isn’t that email. This is just to say thank you. We couldn’t have done it without your support and encouragement. Here’s what we did:
- Talked to over 700 people at Maker Faire, San Mateo, and got them to think about their favorite games: received an Educational Exhibit award. We posted the raw results and Ben wrote blog entries about his favorite responses.
- Used the display case at the Sunnyvale Library to present a mini-exhibit on three important game companies with Sunnyvale roots.
- Education: Presented our concept for an education program to the community leaders at 1EastPaloAlto.
- Fun: Hosted two game tournaments, the last of which brought in 35 gamers and friends. Gave out silly prizes. ( An ocarina? Seriously?)
- Presented our first major exhibit, “The History of Adventure Gaming,” at PAX Prime, Seattle, and collected PAX schwag for a planned retrospective in 5 or 10 years.
- Developed an easily portable, outdoor exhibit for NerdNewYear in Redwood City.
- Invested over $1000 in collections care, thanks to the Adopt-A-Game program.
- Added over 500 items to our collection, including an arcade game, gaming systems, handhelds, games and game boxes with original contents intact, controllers, a dozen t-shirts, 125 buttons, several sets of game comedy DVDs, robots and a zombie wedding couple. And more. Gamer culture! We love it.
Coming next year:
- Improved online collection access, with the ability for you to tag artifact genres and add personal stories to game entries.
- More tournaments, including one or more aimed at under 14 gamers.
- A semi-capital campaign to get into a location so that you can visit, including “Gamespace” for casual gaming get-togethers and gaming open houses. (Yeah, OK, we’re going to hit you up for money to get this started, but not today. Today is just thanks and stay tuned!)
THANK YOU! You’re our inspiration and why we do this (aside from the fact that it’s fun, of course).
Write and tell us what you’re excited about seeing. We want to hear from you.
The Board: Judith, Ben, Ton, Wendy-Ann, Dave.
And the valiant volunteers who make things happen: Natalie, Raffi, Scott and Zak.
(With special thanks and best wishes to Erica.)
We’re planning our next event for late February/early March. Make sure you’re on the mailing list (on the left) so you’re notified. See you there!